After the FSG recently began discussions with two Middle Eastern-based owners, the sale of Liverpool seems to be getting closer.
FSG held talks with two middle east based consortiums
Many Middle Eastern consortiums are reportedly in discussions with Liverpool’s owners about a potential team acquisition.
Following 12 years in command at Anfield, during which the team won the Champions League and ended a 30-year title drought, the Reds’ owners, Fenway Sports Group, stated earlier this month that they were willing to sell the team.
According to the Mail on Sunday, parties from Saudi Arabia and Qatar are now interested in buying the Anfield team that John Henry and company chose to put on the market a little under three weeks ago.
According to the source, the two organizations are private businesses rather than state-owned entities like the new ownership of Newcastle United.
Consortiums from Qatar and Saudia Arabia have 'held discussions' with current #LFC owners FSG recently 🤔💰 [@MailSport]
— Empire of the Kop (@empireofthekop) November 27, 2022
Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Sports, Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal discussed the possibility of purchasing Manchester United or Liverpool.
According to a story in the Mail, an acquisition of Liverpool might cost as much as £3 billion, representing a significant profit over the £300 million FSG paid to purchase the team from Hicks and Gillett in 2010.
Fabrizio Romano provides updates on Julian Ward’s replacement & January transfer
Julian Ward’s decision to leave Liverpool at the end of the current campaign has surprised Fabrizio Romano, who claims that “something is certainly shifting” at the team.
On the House of Champions Podcast, Romano said, “It’s unexpected.”
“Something is changing for Liverpool. I’m sure they want to make sure their new director is someone who will work on a long-term project with Jurgen Klopp.”
Since Julian Ward was ready to overhaul Liverpool’s project following the Michael Edwards era, it is surprising that he will leave at the end of the current campaign.
Fabrizio Romano on Julian Ward's departure:
“Honestly with Liverpool, it is surprising because Julian Ward was the man prepared to change the Liverpool project after the era of Michael Edwards, but now he’s going to step down at the end of the season." #lfc [house of champions]
— Anfield Watch (@AnfieldWatch) November 27, 2022
According to journalist Fabrizio Romano, Liverpool will “attempt to find opportunities” to bolster their first-team roster in January, but the “primary focus” remains next summer.
“Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, a free agent in 2023, is anticipated to leave Liverpool. As things stand, there are no discussions to extend his contract. Liverpool will prioritize finding new midfielders on the market in the upcoming year.
When asked if Liverpool might be active in the winter transfer window, Romano said they might be very well. Still, the aim is to recruit a “great midfielder” next summer.
He stated in an interview with GiveMeSport that although they would like to identify openings in January, their significant attention would be on the summer transfer window.
They needed to buy a top midfielder and were interested in (Aurelien) Tchouameni last summer.
Jude Bellingham, a midfielder for Borussia Dortmund, has been identified by Romano as Liverpool’s “primary target” as they try to upgrade their engine room.